Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Frog and the Scorpion by Bill Levitt

The jungle was dense with trees, vines and all God's creatures, including insects of all kinds. Through it a river wound, splitting the country in two.

A scorpion walked down to the riverbank, where he encountered a frog sunning himself. "Aha," he thought. " If I handle this right, the frog will be my ticket across."

"Froggy," he said, "please give me a ride on your back to the other side of the river. I'll sing you a song as we travel together."

"You silly creature, do you think I'm crazy? As soon as I let you on
my back, you'll sting me, and I'll die!" said the frog.

"But that would be stupid of me. If you die in the middle of the river, I would then drown."

"You're right, hop on." said the frog, and the scorpion, overjoyed, burst into song as the frog began to swim across.

As they approached the middle of the river the scorpion stung the frog.

"Why did you do that, Scorpion? Now I'll die and you'll drown!"

"Sorry, Froggy," the scorpion replied. "I didn't want to, but I couldn't help it. That's what scorpions do."

No comments: