Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Boy Who Knew Better

by Penilope Krain

There was once a young boy who got a job—in a very bad job market—taking care of a gaggle of geese. The geese belonged to a fierce giant. The giant lived high up on a mountaintop. The geese lived below the mountain in a valley, so they could be near the river. The geese were very special. They were the famous geese that laid golden eggs. Their golden eggs kept the giant rich and powerful.

One his first day at work, the giant gave the young boy a special cell phone to use in case of emergency. Of course, watching the geese swim, and play, and eat all day was very boring; so the boy tried to use the cell phone to call some friends.
All of a sudden, the giant appeared, huffing and puffing. He’d run all the way down the mountain.

“What’s up?” cried the ogre.

“Nothing, why?” replied the boy, shocked at the sight of his boss.

“You Rang!” screamed the giant

“Oh, I was just trying to use the cell phone to call some friends.”

“I tol’ you to use it only in case of ‘mergency! It’s a direct line only to me! And there be no personal calls while workin’.”

“Okay, I’m sorry. I’ll try not to let it happen again.”

As the days wore on, the boy again grew bored. He, again, tried to use the cell phone, but only to play some games.

Almost immediately he heard a pounding sound coming from the mountain.

“I tol’ you never to use the phone unless it’s an emergency, only if my geese are in trouble!!!”

“I didn’t realize how it works. I was just trying to play some games. Maybe, if I had the instruction book, I could learn how to use it properly.”

“If you’d just listen to my instructions, yu’d stay out of trouble. I’m givin’ ya one mo’ chance to make good. One mo’ false alarm and you fired! Ya hear me, boy?”

After the giant left, the boy noticed that the geese really didn’t need supervision. He wasn’t aware of any danger to them. So, he decided to join them frolicking in the water.

The cell phone got wet, as they were swimming and splashing about; then suddenly, a big, green monster arose from the river. The boy quickly used the cell phone to get help.

“This betta be good!” answered the giant on the other end of the phone.

“Help, help!”

“You breakin’ up boy, I can’t hear ya! I’m not coming down again unless it’s impo’tent!”

“Come quick, there’s a green monster eating the geese!! I Quit! Can you hear me now?”
But the giant couldn’t.

So, the boy threw the phone at the monster, hitting him between the eyes and killing him instantly; whereupon, the boy gathered as many geese as he could save and managed to live happily ever after through the wise investment of their golden eggs.

1 comment:

Navigating Life said...

I just love this story!!!!